FERPA for Faculty and Staff
FERPA Basic Rules
- As a faculty or staff member you have access to information only for legitimate use in the completion of your responsibilities as a university employee.
- Student educational records are confidential and may generally not be released without written consent of the student.
- You have a responsibility to protect educational records in your possession.
- Student information should only be kept as long as it is valid and useful.
Students have a right to expect that information in their educational records (including computerized records) will be kept confidential and disclosed only with their permission or as allowed by law. Examples:
- Enrollment records
- Class List
- DAWG Tag
- Social Security Number
- Student employment and payroll information
Directory Information - Items that can be given to a third party without a student's written consent. Below is a list of a few of these items; for a full list, please refer to this FERPA policy.
- Student Name
- Student local address and phone number
- Student home address and phone number
- Student e-mail address
- Classification (Freshman, Sophomore, etc)
- Academic Unit
If a student wishes to restrict the release of their records, please refer them to the Records staff in the Registrar's Office (Student Services Building, room 0251) or to the forms page on the Registrar's website (http://registrar.siu.edu/office/forms.html).
Users who are authorized to access Banner online systems can identify students who have restricted their directory information. In Banner INB, the word "Confidential" will appear in the upper left corner of most forms on any student that has requested to have their record marked as private. In SalukiNet SSB, a warning diamond followed by the phrase "Confidential Information" will appear in the upper left margin.
Do's and Don'ts
- Do use randomly assigned numbers or codes to display scores or grades.
- Do keep any personal notes relating to individual students separate from educational records.
- Do keep only those individual student records necessary for fulfillment of your responsibilities.
- Do refer information requests to the proper educational record custodian.
- Do Not display students scores, grades, Social Security Numbers or Dawg Tag’s publicly.
- Do Not put papers, projects, graded exams, or reports in publicly accessible places.
- Do Not share student information, including grades or GPA’s with other faculty or staff unless their responsibilities warrant a need-to-know.
- Do Not provide anyone with lists of students enrolled in your classes for any commercial purpose.
When In Doubt
When in doubt, do not release student educational information. Contact the Registrar's Office for more information or refer to the Registrar's homepage.