Grade Appeal

SIU Logo

Office of the Registrar

Enrollment Management

Grade Appeal

Occasionally, students may wish to question grades given to them, either for accuracy or for removal of grades in situations when they were unable to perform some required step for reasons beyond their control.  Only the assigned instructor for a course has the authority to change a grade except in the instance when the University no longer employs the instructor.

Extenuating circumstances, which transcend faculty judgment of the instructor, may be appealed through procedures established by the instructor's school or college.  Matters related to faculty judgment in grading may not be appealed.

Any change of grade must be approved and signed not only by the instructor but also by the departmental chair and the dean of the academic unit.  In the case of an INC grade being changed to a final grade within the allowable time period for such a grade change, only the instructor's signature is required.