Voter Registration in Illinois
SIU encourages all students who are US citizens and at least 18 years old to participate in the electoral process by registering to vote and by voting. This web page provides information about doing so within the local jurisdictions in which the Carbondale and Springfield campuses are located. Any questions related to registering to vote or voting that are not answered by the resources shown below should be referred directly to the appropriate County Clerk's office as noted.
- Registration and Voting
- FAQs on registering to vote in Illinois
- Illinois voter registration paper application - English (PDF file)
- Illinois voter registration paper application - Spanish (PDF file)
- Illinois voter online registration
The last regular day to register to vote in an election in Illinois is 4 weeks prior to that election, though there may be "grace period" registration that is permitted after that registration deadline.
If you had previously registered to vote and have not moved since then, you should not need to do anything additional now. But if you have moved since your previous voter registration, you should update your voter registration in order to be able to properly and fully vote in the upcoming election. More information about voter registration in Illinois is available here.
- Jackson County voter registration information
- City of Carbondale voter registration information
- Jackson County polling locations/maps for voting locally on election day
- Application for absentee ballot (PDF file)
If you wish to vote in Jackson County, voter registration (and changes to it) may be done in person at any of the following locations:
* Carbondale City Clerk, 200 S. Illinois Avenue, Carbondale, (618) 549-5302
* Secretary of State, 2516 W. Murphysboro Road, Carbondale, (618) 457-0488
* Jackson County Clerk, 1001 Walnut Street, Murphysboro, (618) 687-7366
- Sangamon County voter registration information
- Sangamon County polling locations for voting locally on election day
If you wish to vote in Sangamon County, voter registration (and changes to it) may be done in person at any of the following locations:
* Sangamon Co. Clerk, 200 S. 9th St. Room 105, Springfield, (217) 753-6740
* Secretary of State, 501 S. Second Street, Springfield, (217) 785-3000
* Secretary of State, 316 N. Klein Street, Springfield, (217) 782-4850
* Secretary of State, 2701 S. Dirksen Parkway, Springfield, (217) 782-6030