Main Content

Withdrawal Process

Withdrawal from the University

Withdrawal from the University is a serious decision.

Undergraduate students should consult their academic advisor and the Undergraduate Catalog (especially Chapter 2) for complete information on withdrawing from the University.  Graduate students contemplating withdrawal should instead contact the Graduate School and review the Graduate Catalog (especially Chapter 1).  Law students should contact the School of Law at lawreg@siu.edu.

Withdrawals & Petitions

On-campus undergraduate students wishing to initiate a semester withdrawal should inform their advisors of their intention, since, depending on the student's situation, there may be a more advantageous option for the student than withdrawing.  Students who are receiving financial aid are encouraged to also contact the Financial Aid Office in order to understand the financial implications of withdrawing.  If a withdrawal will still be pursued, then the student will need to work with Withdrawals & Petitions to formalize the withdrawal.

The Withdrawals & Petitions office also reviews requests for credit/refund of tuition and fees.  Students considering withdrawal from the University should contact Withdrawals & Petitions prior to leaving the campus.

A withdrawal from the University can affect your financial aid, as well as your University Housing contract, your student health insurance, and your academic records.

Withdrawals & Petitions is located in the new Student Services Building, room 0251, and can be reached by phone at (618) 453-7041 or by e-mail at withdraw@siu.edu.

Student Death Notices

Withdrawals & Petitions serves as the official office of record regarding all student deaths, including those of former students, and provides special assistance to surviving parents or family members in notifying appropriate University offices so that institutional records may be adjusted.

Military Withdrawal

Students should speak with their base representative to determine the best process for withdrawal.  Special consideration is extended to students who leave school for extended military service (six months or longer).  Such students may choose to withdraw completely and have the withdrawal backdated to show no enrollment for the term.  Otherwise, they may choose to receive WMS grades in all courses (with appropriate refund) if withdrawing during the third through tenth week of the semester, or to receive both grades and credit hours (for the courses in which they are passing) if withdrawing after the tenth week.

In all instances, a copy of the military orders or a letter from the commanding officer is required for verification of impending military service.  To be eligible for these benefits, students should remain in school to within ten days of their military reporting date.

Additional information about the process can also be found on the Office of Military Programs Website.